Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Recycle

I came across this documentary in a summer course that I took, World Hunger and Resource Development. I wanted to pass this along because I feel that it touches on a few issues that we have talked about in class.

It
touches on the idea of having a sense of place. Miguel Diez, the man in the film, left his home and wife and opted for a new way of life. With the creation of the garden, he was able to to create a special relationship to the place in which he inhabited, which then tied him to the land. I think this is even more important when considering that people have this innate affiliation to nature. It's a culture that everyone can relate too. Miguel found peace in creating this garden directly in an urban matrix. Gardening, restoration or spending time with nature can mend the natural connection we humans have with the environment and lead to an understanding of a land ethic.

You can find this original short documentary here at, www.mediathatmattersfest.org/mtm_good_food/#
It has plenty of other great films on food, sustainability and the environment as well as other important issues that we face today on both a local and global scale. I encourage everyone to take a look at the website. .

Vera Tran

3 comments:

tom ato said...

Hi groupmate,

Who is it that posted this?

I'm curious where you got the information about the "homeless garden" by the Burke Gilman Trail - so far as I knew, that garden was created by my friend Josh and others in the same group that maintains the Urban Farm on the UW campus. Where did you hear that it was made by homeless people?

Ariana

tom ato said...

Ariana,

Thanks for that information, I was told by a t.a. that it was a garden that was created by homeless people. I guess I was misinformed and I will be correcting this post. Now that I know the truth to the garden, I'm interested to know why they decided to create this garden and whether or not it still exists. Let me know if you have answers. Thanks again and sorry about the misguided info.

Vera

tom ato said...

Hi Vera,

Weird.

The Urban Farm group created this garden as another place to grow food and show people how easy it is to grow food in the city. When Josh graduated, it wasn't as well maintained (this could be my fault...) which I think led to the person who takes care of the grass there getting rid of it. I don't actually know what happened to it or why, I just know it isn't there any more. It was very sad to realize it was gone.

Does that answer your questions?

Ariana