Sunday, November 30, 2008

Local Harvest


Although I myself would like to purchase organic, locally grown foods more often than I do, I find myself using the all too common excuse that finding places that sell organic and local foods is hard, tedious, and often out of the way. However, I came across a fantastic resource on the Internet called Local Harvest, which has listings of farms, markets, restaurants, and grocery stores that sell local and organic foods. The main page of the website even has a map and search engine so you can easily find places to buy these types of food near your own home. I was actually surprised to see how many local farms and restaurants that use local products are located quite close to where I live in the suburbs of Seattle.

There is also a link from this website to Slow Food's Ark of Taste, which "aims to rediscover and catalog forgotten flavors by documenting excellent food products that are in danger of disappearing." This deals with the GMOs we have been discussing in class that lead to the endangerment of the original crops. It's shocking to look at the list of products they have deemed as in danger.

Beyond this, you can find a calendar listing various local farm events, reasoning and surveys concerning why you should eat local foods, and education on the importance of eating organic produce. I do know that this cite does not feature all local markets and organic restaurants, as there are some I know of that are missing in the listings, but overall it appears to be a very useful tool. The website can be found at http://www.localharvest.org/.

-Ryan Sharnbroich

No comments: